University Park, PA - Facing one of the top teams in the Atlantic Region, the Army men’s tennis team fell 5-2 to Penn State on Sunday afternoon.
The Black Knights (1-1) became the Nittany Lion’s (3-1) second Patriot League conquest, having defeated Lehigh 6-1 a week ago.
Army shook up its lineup from Friday’s win over Fairfield, starting in doubles play with sophomore Rashad Shelton teaming with senior Tripp Johnson at the No. 1 spot. Johnson’s usual partner, freshman Asika Isoh, paired with sophomore Alex Holland at No. 3.
The switch proved beneficial for Isoh and Holland, defeating Penn State’s C.J. Griffin and Chris Young, 8-6, for Army’s lone doubles victory. Johnson and Shelton fell 8-5 to Eddie Bourchier and Russell Bader, while junior Donald Van Velzer and freshman Henry Jang-Milsten lost at No. 2, 8-6.
Isoh carried his success from doubles into this singles match against Bourchier. Bourchier, ranked No. 14 in the Atlantic Region, and Isoh battled in a highly contested match in the top spot, with Isoh prevailing 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (8-6).
Shelton was also victorious in his tight singles match. The sophomore, who did not compete during Army’s win on Friday against Fairfield, faced Griffin at the No. 6 slot. The only match to extend to three sets, Shelton prevailed in his dual match debut, 5-7, 6-4, 10-7.
The Black Knights return to action next weekend for an Ivy League doubleheader. Army will host Penn on Saturday, February 5th, at Lichtenberg Tennis Center at 3 p.m., before traveling to New Haven, Conn., on Sunday, February 6th, to face No. 73 Yale at 2 p.m.
1. Eddie Bourchier/Russell Bader (PSU) def. Rashad Shelton/Tripp Johnson (Army), 8-5
2. Bryan Welnetz/Taylor Cohen (PSU) def. Donald Van Velzer/Henry Jang-Milsten (Army), 8-6
3. Alex Holland/Asika Isoh (Army) def. C.J. Griffin/Chris Young (PSU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Asika Isoh (Army) def. Eddie Bourchier (PSU), 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (8-6)
2. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) def. Donald Van Velzer (Army), 6-4, 6-2
3. Chris Young (PSU) def. Tripp Johnson (Army), 7-5, 6-4
4. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Henry Jang-Milsten (Army), 6-1, 6-2
5. Chris Hasyn (PSU) def. Rommel Verano (Army), 6-2, 6-2
6. Rashad Shelton (Army) def. C.J. Griffin (PSU), 5-7, 6-4, 10-7
Ex. Harry Seaborn (PSU) def. Alex Holland (Army), 7-6
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 5, 1, Ex, 6