The Vassar College women’s tennis team kicked off its eight straight trip to the NCAA Division III Team Championships with a convincing 5-0 win over Transylvania University on Friday at Emory University, setting up a second round match against No. 6 nationally ranked Washington & Lee.
The Brewers (19-2), who are ranked No. 17 nationally, faced a Pioneer (14-7) team in its first ever NCAA postseason appearance. Vassar will play Washington & Lee on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
Vassar cruised through doubles play, allowing no more than three games in any match. The No. 1 doubles team of senior Nicole Pontee and sophomore Joy Backer and the No. 3 duo of freshmen Natalie Santiago and Melanie Horn both picked up 8-3 wins, while the No. 2 team of sophomores Jennifer Beckerman and Nicole Block swept their Transylvania opponents.
Backer breezed to Vassar’s first win in singles with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep of Katie Boone at the No. 3 spot and Block clinched the win with a similarly convincing 6-1, 6-0 win over Andrea Mong at No. 6. Backer improved to 18-5 while Block is now 11-1. The Brewers won the first set in each of the other four matches, with No. 4 freshman Jennifer Ruther just one game away from a win and No. 2 Beckerman needing just three games to win.
Vassar 5, Transylvania 0
1. Nicole Pontee/Joy Backer (VC) def. Kelsey Fulkerson/Sarah Ridley (TU), 8-3
2. Jennifer Beckerman/Nicole Block (VC) def. Stephanie Townsend/Andrea Mong (TU), 8-0
3. Natalie Santiago/Melanie Horn (VC) def. Kaitlyn Hinzy/Katie Moore (TU), 8-3
1. Nicole Pontee (VC) leading Kelsey Fulkerson (TU), 6-4
2. Jennifer Beckerman (VC) leading Sarah Ridley (TU), 6-2, 3-0
3. Joy Backer (VC) def. Katie Boone (TU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Natalie Santiago (VC) leading Stephanie Townsend (TU), 6-2
5. Jennifer Ruther (VC) leading Kaitlyn Hinzy (TU), 6-0, 5-0
6. Nicole Block (VC) def. Andrea Mong (TU), 6-1, 6-0