WEST POINT - The Army women's tennis team rolled past Patriot League foe Colgate, 7-0, on Sunday morning at Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The victory improved the Black Knights to 16-1 overall and an unblemished 3-0 after their opening weekend of conference play.
Army swept Lafayette and Holy Cross on Friday at Lichtenberg as well. Sunday’s triumph extended the defending Patriot League champions’ regular-season win streak versus league opponents to 63 matches. The Black Knights’ last regular-season conference loss came in 2002. Army also stretched its 2014 dual-match win streak to nine.
Colgate (5-7, 0-1 Patriot League) tested Army in the early going of the match, the Black Knights won all six singles duals in straight sets.
In doubles, sisters Della and Elle Taylor won their third-straight doubles match at No. 1 on the weekend. The pair outlasted Alex Petrini and Kelsey Shea, 8-5, atop the doubles lineup. Senior Jamila Paul and sophomore Carolyn Pitman, along with senior Carly Riney and rookie Nancy Porter, helped Army sweep the doubles point at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively.
Five of the aforementioned six players finished the day with a pair of wins, as they all collected singles victories. Sophomore Gabriella Spindler joined the lineup and collected a 6-1, 6-0 win in the third flight. Overall, Army surrendered just 15 games throughout all six singles flights.
The Black Knights break from conference play as they visit Ivy League member Cornell on Wednesday, March 26. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. in Ithaca, N.Y.
Army – 7
Colgate – 0
- Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (A) def. Alex Petrini/Kelsey Shea (C), 8-5
- Jamila Paul/Carolyn Pitman (A) def. Jennifer Ho/Kaelin Britton (C), 8-1
- Carly Riney/Nancy Porter (A) def. Kirstie Woodbury/Katie Grant (C), 8-3
- Paul (A) def. Ho (C), 6-1, 6-1
- Pitman (A) def. Shea (C), 6-3, 6-3
- Gabriella Spindler (A) def. Petrini (C), 6-1, 6-0
- D. Taylor (A) def. Grant (C), 6-1, 6-1
- E. Taylor (A) def. Britton (C), 6-1, 6-1
- Porter (A) def. Woodbury (C), 6-0, 6-2