August 29th, 2012
This Week in Orange County 8-29-12
Orange County Executive Edward Diana
It’s hard to believe that the start of the school year is just a few short weeks away. Teacher and class assignments have started to hit the mail for many districts, bus routes are being practiced, and families have started their back to school shopping and preparations. It’s a time of anxiety and excitement for both students and parents.
Orange County Youth Bureau Director Carol Chichester joins me in wishing our students the best for the new school year and offers some useful information to help make this school year a success.
• Eat a good breakfast - every day. We’ve all heard it before - breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
• Wake your student up early enough so they’ve got plenty of time to get ready, including eating that breakfast. You don’t want him or her being late to school and nothing starts the day off on a stressful note like a last minute rush to the bus.
• Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep. If he’s been enjoying late summer nights, don’t wait until the last minute to get back on track - start your nightly school routine a week or so early to help with the transition.
• Be prepared. Pack the bookbag, lay out the clothes, plan the lunch, review the homework, and sign the paperwork the night before.
• Encourage your child to be organized - in their room, backpack and locker. This may be one of the hardest things to do, but the dividends are significant.
• Hand in hand with organization is developing good study habits. Encourage students to do their homework when they get home. The longer they wait, the harder it is to get going. Review homework and that pesky paperwork together each night.
• Promote healthy eating and exercise.
• Encourage your child to read, read, read.
• Be a positive role model for your child.
For more information and tips to help your child have a happy, healthy, and successful school year visit the Youth Bureau pages on www.orangecountygov.com and www.healthyorange.com.
Until next week, I wish you good health and happiness.