February 5th, 2014
Closing Reception for Herron Exhibition
‚ÄúDon‚Äôs World,‚ÄĚ a retrospective exhibition of the work of the late Don Herron, included this untitled, hand painted silk quilt which was on display at the Crawford House Sunday, January 26, 2014. Hudson Valley Press/CHUCK STEWART, JR.
NEWBURGH - The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands hosted a Closing Reception for “Don’s World,” a retrospective exhibition of the work of the late Don Herron, an internationally known artist who lived his last two decades in Newburgh and supported many non-profits with his artwork. The reception took place at the Crawford House, headquarters of the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands, at 189 Montgomery Street in Newburgh.
The retrospective displays his work in many media over a long career: painting, drawing, ceramics, sculpture, faux finishes, textiles, and artist’s books. The artist’s books are made available in the exhibition for public perusal through the use of digital frames.
After moving to Newburgh in the mid-1980’s, Don became an active member and volunteer at the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay and the Highlands, a natural outgrowth of his love for the magnificent architecture of that City and his proud ownership of an exquisite 1836 Federal townhouse designed by Thornton McNess Niven. Since 1994, Don’s whimsical but accurate drawings of the houses and other buildings on the Historical Society’s house tours have illustrated the tour booklets and made them treasured keepsakes. Don also graciously opened his home often for Historical Society tours as well as for other non-profit fundraisers. In addition, Don generously provided artwork to benefit local non-profits including Habitat for Humanity, the Downing Park Planning Committee and many others.
In Newburgh, Don discovered two passions: maintain and furnishing his historic house and writing. Don was very proud that his house was wired by Thomas A. Edison who stayed there when he came to Newburgh in 1883 to set up one of the earliest public electric generating stations. The First Street home is part of “Quality Row,” townhouses built by Reverend John Brown of the highest quality materials and using the latest technologies, and designed to attract “quality occupants,” according to the developer.
Don’s articles were published in the Times Herald Record and he delighted in reading them at the Newburgh Free Library, The Wherehouse restaurant, Café 88 Liberte and on WWLE radio. His writing drew on his childhood in Texas, his Newburgh experiences, travel, confronting cancer, and his beloved cats.
This project was made possible, in part, with funds from Orange County Tourism and the County of Orange.