October 3rd, 2012
NRC rowers come up big at Tail of the Fox Regatta
Willa Arenault and Amanda Perez earned medals as part of the first place Women’s 4+ team during the “Tail of the Fox Regatta” at Greenwood Lake on September 29, 2012. Photo: SONIA ABRAMS
GREENWOOD LAKE - The Newburgh Rowing Club brought home seven first place medals on Saturday, September 29, 2012, after competing in the grueling 8,000-meter Tail of the Fox Regatta at Greenwood Lake, against rowing clubs from Poughkeepsie to New Jersey, including North Rockland Rowing Club, East Arm Rowing Club, Nereie Rowing Club, Hudson River Rowing Association, and Piermont Rowing Club.
Adding to the challenge of the long course at Greenwood Lake, there were also no docks, so the rowers had to hoist their crew shells overhead (some weighing up to 400 pounds) and walk them into the lake, lower the boat in and then get themselves in without breaking the extremely delicate bottom of the boat.
“My hat really goes off to two rowers - Luke Sendelbach and Olivia Mennillo,” said NRC Programs Director Coach Ed Kennedy. “Both of them won their first races, then volunteered to row again in a Mixed 4+, so that two rowers who signed up late would be able to participate.”
• 1x - Luke Sendelbach - 1st, 56:52
• 1x - Cora Stepakoff - 1st, 60:15
• 2x - Marley Brackett and Jack Santiago - 1st, 45:24
• 2x - Meg Ryan and Olivia Mennillo - 1st, 43:56
• Men’s 4+ - Matt Beisswenger, Nicholas Illenberger, Kyle Britton, Matt Weresbe, Christian LoBiondo (coxswain), 1st, 36:35
• Women’s 4+ - Amanda Perez, Willa Arenault, Kerry Kennedy, Stef Sciolaro, Tyler Jury (coxswain), 1st, 43:32
• Mixed 4+ - Richard Guerrero, Lexi Ellingson, Olivia Mennillo, Luke Sendelbach, Cora Stepakoff (coxswain), 1st place, 50:1